Monday, May 17, 2010

FAQ

Q - Are you comfortable?
A - Please walk to your pantry, strap 5 10lb. bags of sugar on your belly equivalent to the 50 extra pounds I am carrying, put a clothespin on your nose since I can only breathe half as much, then stay awake for 24 hours with only a couple of 1 hour naps. Then you can tell me how comfortable you are :) With that being said, I am trying my best not to complain because it is such a blessing and I truly do want the babies to stay put for a few more weeks.

Q - How long will the doctor let you go?
A - As long as I can at this point! If we get to 35 weeks, we may start discussing options, but until then, I'll just keep praying they stay put. The average for triplets is 32 weeks, and my goal for them is 34 weeks. At 32 weeks, they should have the capabilities of breathing on their own, and at 34 weeks, they learn to suck, swallow, and breathe at the same time on their own.

Q - Are they identical?
A - They are all in their own sac, so the answer would be no, they are fraternal.

Q - How big are they?
A - I go to MFM to have an ultrasound where they measure the babies weight every 4 weeks. I have not been there since April 20th, at which point they were 2lbs. 3oz., 2lbs.1oz., and 2lbs., for babies A, B, and C respectively. We will get new measurements on Thursday!

Q - Am I going to deliver vaginally?
A - No! It was not even an option for me because of there being three. At the last ultrasound, all of the babies were breech anyways.

Q- Do the babies move alot?
A - YES!!! It is constantly a three-ring circus in my belly. A few of the ultrasounds have shown various babies kicking each other. I guess the sibling fights have started already :)

Q - Do the babies switch positions?
A - Not really. Baby A (girl) is always on the bottom. Baby B (boy) is always on the left side. Baby C (girl) is always on the top right. While they do not switch basic locations, they are still flipping all over, sometimes head down, sometimes feet or bottom down.

Q - Are you going to breastfeed?
A - YES! I am adamant about this and am going to do my best to try to provide the best nutrients for the babies. I know it will be a full-time job, but these are my intentions and I am trying to keep a very positive mindset about this, even though there seems to be much negativity and doubt from people. If I cannot exclusively feed all three for some reason, my hope is that I can at least partially breastfeed them, supplementing with formula.

Q - Are you going to have three cribs?
A - Eventually. At the beginning, we plan on setting one up on the main floor of our house and two in the nursery upstairs. They will most likely sleep all in one crib while they still fit.

Q - I thought you weren't going to find out the genders of the babies. Why the change of heart?
A - After having many discussions and seeing the generosity of everyone through shower gifts and stuff to pass down, we decided it would be much easier to find out what we were having. If we had not found out, I could not imagine how much yellow and green newborn clothes I would be looking at now!

Q - Do you have names decided?
A - We have talked about this and are getting close to deciding, but it will remain TOP SECRET!! Even our parents do not know our options :) I have seen too many issues with people revealing their names early and we are trying to avoid all of it.

Q - Are you ready?
A - I'm not sure anyone could ever be COMPLETELY ready for the huge change Al and I are about to experience, but we are excited. Yes, we know it will be the most dramatic change in our lives either of us has experienced and yes, I know we do not know what to all expect, but hopefully we will be able to embrace it all and thank God for the blessings we have been given.

4 comments:

  1. Love it Susie!! Can't wait to meet my nieces and nephew!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie......did you know that just because they are in different sacs doesn't mean they are fraternal. They can be identical and be in different sacs. Your girls could still be identical. They won't really know that until they are born. We thought our girls were fraternal but weren't sure until they were born and they had different blood types.

    Oh and you most certainly can breastfeed and I'm so happy you are planning to. It is a full-time job and it takes tons of dedication but if that is what you want for your babies it can totally happen! You are super mom already for all you are doing to help them grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Susie-Q! I am so excited to meet my little nieces and nephew! (But not for a little while longer;) I love the updates to your page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Casey!! I thought that was how it was, but everyone I talked to insisted that if they were in seperate sacs with three placentas, they would be fraternal. I thought there was a way the girls could be identical. I'm not losing it :) With that being said, I would guess that they will be fraternal, but we will see...

    ReplyDelete