Tuesday, June 1, 2010

PUPPPS = Miserable Susie :(

It seems that I have developed pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy, also known as PUPPPS. This is a hormonal rash that happens only in about 1 out of 160 pregnancies; however much more prevalent when carrying multiples. It started on Thursday with just itchiness, but by Friday evening, a rash became present. I had called the doctors Friday morning and was instructed to put Eucerin cream on to help ease the itch, but if a rash developed, then I was to use Calamine Lotion and call on Tuesday. Throughout the weekend, the rash has continued to spread and increase in irritation. The rash looks like little pimples and has now shown up on my belly, hands and arms, thighs, and I believe will soon show up on my feet, as they have started to itch. The worst place by far is my fingers, as it is on the knuckles and even in between fingers, making it uncomfortable to bend my fingers. I went to the doctor today, who confirmed it to be PUPPPS and she prescribed me a cream to try, in addition to Benadryl. If that does not help, they may have me use a steroid pack when I go back on Thursday for my normal weekly check. The doctor compared the feeling to having poison ivy. I have to say this is the first time I have truly been unbearably uncomfortable during this pregnancy, so I cannot complain too much. Unfortunately, the cure for this rash is....delivery! Between the medicines and oatmeal baths, I hope that I can keep the scratching to a minimum and endure this for a couple more weeks. My C-section is exactly 4 weeks from today. While I am not keen on going that long, I would like to make it to at least 34 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Awww Susie I'm sorry. I'm sure this makes you feel very torn. You want them to stay in and grow but probably can't wait to get rid of the rash. As miserable as I'm sure you're feeling just tell yourself "This too shall pass!"

    ReplyDelete