Friday, July 2, 2010

Feeding

Well, this has been the largest struggle of them all! I am a firm believer in breast-feeding, but this experience is definitely challenging me. There is so much value in breast-feeding that I do not want to lose out on, but trying to keep up with three babies is taking a toll on me. In the hospital, I really struggled with a few of the nurses being on the un-supportive side, and ended up doing a lot of pumping. While this did increase my supply, it did not really help me learn to feed with each baby enough. Fortunately, I have met a great lactation consultant who came to my house and helped me the other afternoon. My goal is to get the babies to breast at least twice a day for right now. I have successful done this with Lilly and with Griffin, but have not even tried Addy. After learning many things from the nurse, I can tell that Addy is not quite ready yet. She is very stubborn and tends to chew on the nipple of her bottles...not something I am willing to risk right now yet. We are trying to do many things to improve this with her, such as using a slow-flow nipple to help her work harder for her food, and using digital therapy with pacifier and finger. Being preemies, sucking is something that is a little more challenging for them to learn as opposed to a full-term baby.

Currently, by pumping, I am producing enough milk for the babies, and hope that continues, although I know that may not be possible. The three hour feeding schedule of 3:00, 6:00, 9:00 and 12:00 definitely takes patience, but we are making it work. It is a little frustrating that when people come over, I do not really want others feeding the babies bottles because Al and I are working so hard with them to make sure they are doing it correctly so I can soon put them to breast. I apologize in advance and do not want to offend anyone, but this is something that is really important for the babies. In my opinion, it is my job as their mother to provide the best nutrition for them. While saying that, if anyone wants to come over and change diapers, be my guest :)

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I commenting the crap out of your blog today but I'm sooooooo proud of you, Susie! Stick with it because I have no doubt that you can do this! And you are right to be strict with how and when they eat and who feeds them. You have to be in order for this to work for you. No one will be offended and if they are who cares. These are your children and you know what is best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Casey! Go for it Susie! Nursing is great for you and the babies! Just remember to eat yourself! (I had problems w/ Seth gaining weight because my milk wasn't "fatty" enough.) Keep it up and be firm with all the people wanting to "help"! See you at fair?!?!?

    ReplyDelete